Monday, January 6, 2020

What If I Don’t Wanna Lean?



Last week I said farewell and good luck to someone on my team at work.  This is not a new occurrence. Since I have been in this role I have said bon voyage to three direct reports. (I should explain that their decision to leave was not because they reported to me, I swear.)

In each case, these wonderful employees left because they were progressing in their careers, either making more money, or attaining an advance in title, or both.  This is the natural progression of career development.  You move up, reaching for the next rung on the corporate ladder.

But what if climbing that corporate ladder isn’t for you? What if you have no future career aspirations?  In this day and age, this attitude makes a person look like an “underachiever.” Why wouldn’t we want to move up, to the east side, to a deluxe apartment in the sky? (Sorry, I can’t help myself when it comes to 70’s TV theme songs.)

Three years ago, I put my hat in the ring for a higher position within my office.  I wasn’t sure that this role was the right move for me, but I had several wonderful people encouraging me.  I didn’t get the position, and at the time I was crushed.  But after a while, I started asking myself, did I apply for the job because I wanted it or, rather, because it was the next logical step and was expected of me?  I loved the job that I had and I was good at it. The new role would entail duties that I didn’t think truly fit my interests and skills.  I was on the leadership team of the department already but was not responsible for the entire office.  Did I want that increase in responsibility?  I wanted to want it, that was for sure.

After I was rejected for the job, people immediately started asking me “Now what will you do?”  And my answer was always the same, “I am going to do my job.”  I received job postings from friends and was thankful for their concern and assistance, but the reality was that I was in a role that I liked.  Yes, my pride was wounded, big time, but I wasn’t going to spite myself by leaving a job that checked off most of my boxes, including being located close to home.

The goal of the book Lean In is to empower women to be ambitious, to have a seat at the table, and to advance in their careers.  The book encourages women to take risks.  However, what I learned is that this advice doesn’t work for everyone.  Quite simply, I didn’t want to lean, or sit, or advance, or risk-take. I was happy where I was, and, at least for now, where I still am. And that is perfectly OK and doesn't mean I have to give back my feminist card.

Does this make me an underachiever, or someone who is self-aware enough to know what is right for her?  I’ve asked myself that question. The fact is there really is no point in asking it, because I am happy where I am. What I do know is that the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some. It takes Diff’rent strokes to move the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment